A fine combination for a blisteringly hot day. Too bad today is grey and mithery, but one can hope for better, warmer days soon. In the meantime, this salad is a fabulous mix of flavours and textures.
The salad is quick to prepare; the only steps needing any finesse are peeling the grapefruit and de-veining the shrimp.
I found that removing the pith from the grapefruit was easiest if you go at it by hand. Best to do it over a bowl so you can catch any juice to dress the salad with later.
De-veining the shrimp – slide a knife down the ‘belly’ of the shrimp and pull out the grey vein.
- A dozen medium - large shrimp, cleaned
- An Avocado, Sliced thinly
- Half a grapefruit
- A small handful of toasted almonds, sliced
- A little fresh red chilli, finely sliced
- Pre-heat a griddle pan on medium-high heat.
- Take the grapefruit segments and gently remove the pith. Separate the pieces a little in a bowl.
- Arrange the Avocado and Grapefruit on a plate and toss over chilli and hazelnuts. You can make this bit ahead and chill in fridge.
- Toss shrimp in a healthy glug or two of Olive oil and a good three-finger pinch of salt.
- place in griddle pan and grill each side for a minute or two until they are peachy orange and the smell is amazing.
- Arrange shrimp on top of avocado and grapefruit, add a little more olive oil and any grapefruit juice, and season to taste.