This salad makes a surprisingly good breakfast. I guess its not a million miles away from granola topped with yoghurt. That said, this feels not only more satisfying, but also eminently suitable for lunch or a light supper.
I got this recipe again drawing on Heidi Swanson’s sumptuous 101 cookbooks, who in turn borrowed from Whole Grain Mornings. As someone who has until very recently been stuck on cereals and milk as my morning ‘salad’, I thoroughly recommend giving this a shot!
- A cup of Farro
- A few handfuls of arugula, roughly torn
- A handful of sliced almonds
- 3 or 4 ounces Ricotta Salata or Feta, sliced thinly
- An Avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 cup Plain Yoghurt
- Zest and juice of half a Lemon
- A few chives, snipped
- A three-finger pinch of salt
- Simmer Farro in plenty of lightly salted water until tender. Drain and cool.
- Toast Almonds in a dry pan until brown.
- Combine Leaves, Farro, Almonds and cheese.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients and taste. It should be nicely salty & tangy.
- Serve salad with spoonfuls of dressing, topped with avocado slices and a few remaining chives.